- 1 How To Make Chicken and Rice Soup?
- 2 Storing Method
- 3 Cooking Tips
- 4 Ingredients for Wild and Chicken Rice Soup Ingredients
- 5 Making Chicken Soup and Wild Rice Soup
- 6 Make this chicken and wild rice soup gluten-free!
- 7 Can I use the leftovers of turkey or chicken?
- 8 Creamy Chicken Rice Soup Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Can This Soup Recipe Be Made Ahead? Does It Do Well As A Leftover?
- 10 Should You Cook The Rice Before Adding It In?
- 11 What To Serve With This Soup?
- 12 Want to Make An Even Healthier Version?
- 13 Author
Creamy Chicken Rice Soup Recipe It’s officially into soup season Yesterday I cooked delicious rice and chicken soup. I’ve tried canned cream of chicken soup and chicken noodle soup chicken tortilla soup and plenty of chicken soups however, I’ve never tried homemade chicken soup and rice soup.
Let me inform you. This is an amazing experience for me. It’s extremely creamy and does not feel like a heavy soup. This recipe is the perfect rice and chicken soup with a wonderful creaminess. My children loved it. It’s hearty smooth, satisfying, and delicious. It’s going to be on my top soups and be a regular on the menu for this winter.
How To Make Chicken and Rice Soup?
- In a 3-quart Dutch cooker or pot melt the butter in medium-high heat. Cook the celery, carrots, and onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the rice before pouring it into the chicken broth. Incorporate the fresh thyme leaves and fresh chopped parsley and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and let it simmer for around 15 minutes.
- In a small dish mixes the evaporated milk and flour together until smooth, then pour this mixture into the saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then cook for 3 mins or so until the mixture is thick.
- Add the pieces of chicken and sprinkle them by adding salt and black pepper. Continue to simmer for 3 seconds or so until the chicken has cooked to your liking.
If you have leftovers, put the food items in an airtight container. put them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you want to make a freezer of this soup, allow it to cool completely before placing it inside a freezer bag or airtight container. Mark it with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- If you’d like a more slender soup, add an additional tablespoon of flour to the milk that has evaporated.
- If there isn’t any butter you can make use of vegetable oil to cook vegetables, however, I strongly recommend butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper until close. While the soup cooks it will start to evaporate. If you add salt in advance of this, it could turn out to be too salty.
- Use a whisk for mixing with the evaporated milk and flour, preventing the formation of lumps.
Ingredients for Wild and Chicken Rice Soup Ingredients
- The wild rice mix: I like to make use of Lundberg’s blend.
- Onion, carrots, and celery The ingredients are utilized in the making of the mirepoix that adds flavor to the soup.
- Butter It makes soups deliciously rich.
- Garlic It is possible to add additional if you prefer.
- chicken broth It is my preference to make low-sodium broth. Regular is fine as long as you use less salt in the soup.
- Thyme, marjoram rosemary, and sage: You can use fresh or dried herbs.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Chicken breasts can be used for thighs as well, just cook them a bit longer if needed.
- Flour It helps to thicken the soup. Do not leave out. If you are in need, consider the gluten-free alternative below.
- Milk We recommend any milk other than skim milk.
- Cream It is possible to substitute half for half.
Making Chicken Soup and Wild Rice Soup
- Rice is prepared according to the instructions provided on the package.
- Halfway through cooking the rice in a separate saucepan, cook 1 tablespoon of butter at medium temperature. Add the carrots, onion, and celery, and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, and rosemary, sage, marjoram and sprinkle with black pepper and salt according to your preference. Turn heat up to medium-high, add chicken, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid, lower to medium-low temperature and allow it to simmer until chicken is fully cooked about 12 to 15 minutes (rotating chicken from one side to the other at least once throughout cooking to create thicker chicken breasts, in the event that they aren’t completely submerged in the broth).
- Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board for cooling for 5 minutes, then shred it into smaller pieces. Keep soup covered in warm heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining 6 Tbsp butter at medium-high temperature. Add flour and cook for 1 1/2 minutes, while whisking continuously.
- While whisking vigorously then slowly pour the milk into the butter/flour mix. Mix into the heavy cream. Stir constantly until it becomes thicker.
- Add the milk and soup mix to a pot with cooked and shredded chicken, rice as well as lemon zest. Mix thoroughly and then remove from the stove.
- Let soup cool slightly before serving. serve.
Make this chicken and wild rice soup gluten-free!
If you want at making this dish gluten-free it can be made by swapping the flour with 1/3 the amount of cornstarch and mixing it well with a portion more milk (of course, you won’t be making a roux, but I’d add some butter for the flavor and depth). Check the labels to make sure they’re gluten-free.
Can I use the leftovers of turkey or chicken?
Yes. You can make use of leftover cooked turkey or chicken if you have leftovers to use. If you do this, make sure to wait until the last minute to add it in order that it does not become too cooked (tough dried).
Creamy Chicken Rice Soup Frequently Asked Questions
Can This Soup Recipe Be Made Ahead? Does It Do Well As A Leftover?
Soups that contain starchy ingredients (like rice or pasta) can be good for leftovers when kept in the refrigerator and consumed within 24 to 48 hours.
But the rice will still absorb the broth, which makes the soup more of a stew than a smooth soup. It is possible to add liquid to help loosen up the soup after warming it.
Should You Cook The Rice Before Adding It In?
No. Incorporating cooked rice (or dried rice) adds flavor while cooking in the cooker.
What To Serve With This Soup?
My family enjoys this delicious Parmesan Chicken Soup with bread that is crusty, such as this Easy Garlic Bread recipe as well as the addition of a healthy salad for a satisfying dinner.
For nutritious and healthy gluten-free sides Try a simple oven-roasted Broccoli as well as sauteed mushrooms to add more vegetables to your dining table.
Want to Make An Even Healthier Version?
If you’re looking to make a less classic soup, simply leave out all the cheeses and cornstarch, including parmesan. It’s not as creamy however it will still be a soup with excellent texture and flavor due in part to rice, and vegetables.
You can also substitute the butter for olive oil to make an alternative that is dairy-free.