It is an easy casserole, smothered chicken recipe. This recipe for smothered chicken breast is simpler and can be made by itself. The gravy is prepared with mushrooms and soup made from chicken which means you don’t need to prepare it yourself. Additionally, it’s baked in a layer of rice, making it a smothered rice and chicken recipe.
It is by far the EASIEST pressure cooker recipe or slow cooker you’ll ever cook. This delicious, hearty and home-cooked Smothered chicken and rice needs a handful of ingredients and is the perfect comfort food to enjoy during the fall.
What Is Smothered Chicken and Rice?
This recipe for chicken is the most simple recipe in the world. slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe. It’s not a lie. And…it’s delicious.
We all have those so-busy-I-want-to-pull-my-hair-out days, and this recipe is for just those occasions. When you return home, you’ll enjoy a warm, homey warm meal, without having to lift a finger.
Smothered chicken is a basic chicken dish that is served with a rich gravy served over rice. The combination of the starchy rice with the delicious gravy is divine. My mom cooks the Slow cooker Chicken dish, and I absolutely love it every time I come to go. It’s funny how I’m requesting food that only takes a few only minutes to cook. I’m not sure what’s going on but this meal tastes amazing from my mother’s slow cooker! It makes me feel as if I’m in my own home.
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
The list of ingredients is so small – you’ll never believe it!
- frozen chicken breasts
- Chicken soup with cream
- Chicken gravy mix
- hot cooked rice
How to Make Your Own Smothered Chicken:
I’ll go over the steps for pressure cookers however if you’re going down go with the slow cooker method make sure you go through the recipe book for the simple steps to follow.
- Poursuspend water in your pressure cooker.
- Add the cream of chicken. Don’t stir.
- Serve with frozen chicken.
- On the setting for poultry, cook for 20 minutes. Allow the natural release.
- Take the bird out of the pan and shred it.
- Mix gravy mixes with water and whisks until mixed.
- Make sure your pressure cooker is set to saute. Stir in until sauce thickens.
- Incorporate the chicken shredded back into the sauce.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Smothered Chicken Q&A
I’m a visual person – do you have a video of how to make this recipe?
We do! It’s in the recipe card.
I don’t like rice – can I substitute something else?
Yes! Try making mashed potatoes. I will also serve vegetables to accompany the dish to ensure a balanced and balanced meal.
What if I don’t like using the cream of chicken soup?
It is possible to make substitutions. One great substitute is located in The Berly’s Kitchen. You can substitute the equivalent number of ounces using her homemade version.
Do you have recommendations for a good pressure cooker and a slow cooker?
I sure do. When it concerns pressure cookers I am in love with my 6-qt Instant Pot Duo. I’ve owned it for years and it performs flawlessly every time. When it concerns slow cookers – you’ll never be wrong using the original slow cooker.
I need more fast and easy dinner solutions – what do you recommend?
Take a look at the Italian sandwich made of beef and honey mustard chicken as well as the Cheeseburger Meatloaf.
How To Make Smothered Chicken and Rice?
- First, we have to sprinkle the chicken legs using mustard powder as well as onion powder, paprika as well as salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven until 350F. Prepare the rice in accordance with package instructions, using either the microwave or over the stove.
- Make one tablespoon olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and cook the chicken thighs skin-side down for about four minutes. Then flip them over, and cook for four minutes on the opposite side. Transfer them to an oven-safe plate.
- Utilizing this same pan along with the remaining olive oil sauté the onion and minced garlic for about 3 minutes.
- The bottom layer of the 9x 9-inch casserole dish using a nonstick spray, and put the rice in as the bottom layer. Put the chicken thighs that have been browned over the rice.
- in a bowl Mix cooked garlic and onions with soup of mushrooms condensed dairy, chicken soup chopped mushrooms, salt, and pepper as desired.
- Pour the sauce over rice and chicken then sprinkle it with chopped dried parsley.
- Wrap the casserole in foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil then cook the dish for 20 mins more.
What To Serve with Smothered Chicken?
Green beans that are fried are a typical food item served with chicken that is smothered. I prefer to serve it with steaming vegetables with butter.
You can serve it with a salad that you like. Fruit cobblers are my favorite dessert to accompany this recipe, but Ice cream is also an alternative.
- When you are browning the chicken, make sure that your pan and the oil are hot. In the event that they don’t, they won’t cook.
- When you brown the chicken, you must always begin with the skin down.
- Prior to adding salt into the mix of soup, test the soup mix. It might not require this much. The condensed chicken soup is already quite salty.
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon powdered onion
- Salt and pepper according to your preference
- Two tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup of finely diced yellow onions
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 can of cream from soup with mushrooms
- 1 . 1 can cream condensed from chicken soup
- 2 cups of mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- Salt and pepper according to your preference
- 2 tablespoons of dry parsley
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with mustard powder as well as onion powder, paprika salt, as well as pepper, on each side. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Brown rice can be cooked using the microwave over the stovetop, according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Cook one tablespoon olive oil to medium in the saucepan and cook the chicken thighs skin-side down first, for about 4 minutes. Brown for another 4 minutes on the opposite side. Transfer onto the plate. Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, and sauté the diced onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- The bottom layer of the 9x 9-inch casserole dish using cooking spray, and put the rice in as the base layer.
- Place the chicken wings on the top of the rice.
- in a bowl Mix the sauteed onions and garlic, the cream of soup with mushrooms, the condensed milk of chicken soup as well as milk, sliced mushrooms, salt, and pepper as desired. Then, pour this mix over the rice and chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and bake covered, for 45 minutes. Cover and bake 20 minutes longer.